I’m SO excited for your engagement session!
Your session is really just about celebrating your love and life together. It’s a chance to capture moments that tell your story, embrace individuality, showcase creativity, and illustrate the love you share.
My sessions are laid back and very casual (with a little direction of course). I want you to relax, have fun and be yourselves! When you’re having a good time the result is photos of real moments that capture who you are authentically, and you’ll treasure them forever!
Aside from getting some great photos, your session is a great time for us to get to know one another.
Think of this as a practice session for your wedding day!
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS A GOOD TIME FOR OUR SESSION?
Lighting is the number one most important element in creating breathtaking photos! The best light is at sunrise & one hour before sunset! So ideally we’ll be shooting in the evening or early morning.
The location of your session depends on the kind of vibe you’d like for your photos! If lighting is the number one factor for great photos, location is probably number two! We do most of our sessions outdoors, but the main thing is finding a beautiful spot where you feel comfortable hanging out. One idea is to envision your photos hanging on your walls. Think of your decor, do you prefer rustic, minimalist, or maybe an urban look? If you love the urban look my suggestion would be to go with a city session incorporating some great architecture in your background. For a rustic feel, you might incorporate a barn or dry landscape as your backdrop.
Envision your photos hanging on your walls
WHAT TO WEAR?
The third cornerstone to beautiful photos hinges on what you wear. I have some separate tips for him and her, but the main keys:
- Aim for neutral colors / pastels
- Layers are your friend! They add interest and texture to your photos
- Avoid anything with intense patterns.
- Most of all, aim for clothing that fits you well and matches the location.
Like the location, your outfits should also be a reflection of you. That said, there are some simple tips to make sure you choose your best look!
1) Try to stick with timeless, beautiful and classic. You want to admire and display these photos for years to come, so aim for looks that have stood the test of time.
2) Clothing movement is also a huge factor in creating romance and drama in your photos – dresses, flowy shawls etc are fantastic. If your shoes are a little hard to walk in, bring along a pair of flats so you can get around to different locations with ease.
3) Try including some accessories – a simple necklace, floppy rimmed hat, a scarf, a set of bracelets etc. Aim to add some layers that make your look just a little more stylish.
4) I recommend a formal outfit and a casual one, so that you have plenty of variety to choose from later!
1) Aim for layers as this goes a long way to making an outfit feel more fashionable.
2) Do your best to add some accessories for interest. Glasses or a watch, jewelry etc.
4) Avoid baggy jeans, unfitted shirts, polos, running shoes, or t-shirts with prints.
5) A fresh haircut is great, however, make sure you do it at LEAST 3-4 days in advance, so the hair has time to blend a bit. If you have any questions or need some help deciding on options I’m happy to lend a hand!
AWESOME PHOTOS HERE YOU COME!
Once you’ve planned out your location, lighting & wardrobe, all that remains is to get together and have a great time!
This Style guide was written to give a few tips to help plan for our session together, but it’s in no way a rule book. It’s just a few pointers to help guide you in the right direction to make sure you’re ready for an awesome shoot.
Engagement sessions are FUN - No need to be nervous. You can even make a date out of it, going out to dinner or a movie afterwards.
Come ready to be affectionate, laugh, and have a great time. When it gets right down to it, this is YOUR session. Make it personal. Make it about YOU, and HAVE FUN!